Thursday, January 14, 2016

Lottery Day Dreams

I'm a day dreamer, big time. Like reading and writing, it's one more way for me to escape. It's probably the reason I'm not an alcoholic. When I go for a run, take a drive, stand in the shower, or even just lay in bed, chances are I'm not really there. I can be any variety of places, but lately I've been sitting here:

My eco friendly mansion.
Source


And I've been thinking about all the different ways I could spend roughly $600 million. Oh, the bags, the bags, the bags... And shoes. I would have literally all the shoes. 

But once I wade through all the fabulous things I'd like to buy for myself and my family and the trips we'd like to take, I think about the pretty pitiful dent we'd make in this massive amount of money and how incredibly bored I'd get just sitting around. (Because I'd obviously have to quit my job so I could have time to buy all those bags and shoes. Oh, and make-up.)

So, I really started thinking seriously about how I would use the money if we won. Because, you know, why not? 
Source


Here is a non-comprehensive list of things I would do (not related to buying Burberry purses and Christian Louboutin shoes) if we won the current Powerball jackpot: 
  • Start scholarship programs for our local high school, community college, and, of course, our adult ed. program
  • Buy a building and take pay the taxes on for as long as I can for our adult ed. program (also, I probably wouldn't quit my job entirely)
  • Randomly choose Kickstarter and Go Fund Me campaigns and donate all the money they need
  • With my copious amounts of time and money go to Birthwise Midwifery school and become a midwife and provide free prenatal care and low-cost, if not free, home and birth center deliveries (I'm not sure if I worded that right, but there you have it)
  • I would also loudly and strongly advocate for change in our medical culture to allow for a larger role for certified professional midwives (CPMs)
  • Become a voice and a set of hands for those who aren't able to advocate for themselves, but while truly being a voice for their needs and wants, not what I think their needs and wants should be
  • Sponsor local farms and help find a way to make healthy eating more tangible for lower income families (all the while eating more healthfully myself, because, regardless of price, we'd be able to afford all the organic spinach we want, too)
I'm sure there are other things that would come up along the way, but this is a fairly decent representation of what I'd want to do (besides, you know, the luxury items and traveling and the eco-friendly mansion). 

Of course, it's all just a dream. The reality is, I'm not likely to win the Powerball (and actually, if you're reading this, I didn't win, because I won't be posting it until Thursday...if we haven't won). But I like to dream, and the thing about dreams is that even if you don't magically become a multi-millionaire in one fell swoop, you can still have them and do you best to fulfill time in some capacity even if it takes much longer or manifests itself in much smaller ways. 

No comments:

Post a Comment