Friday, January 15, 2016

Ambition

It's the beginning of January, which means spring semester for college students is just a couple of weeks away. I started on my journey for my master's degree this past fall, taking (and acing!) two courses. I'm ready to start two more shortly. If I continue at this pace, two courses a semester, I'll have my master's by May 2019. What's a girl to do once she earns her master's? Well, go on and get her doctorate, of course!

My thought had been once I finished my master's program, I might work for some time before pursuing my doctorate, but the more I think about it, the less I want to wait. Of course, life and circumstances always have a chance of changing things, but barring any stickiness and the general agreeability of my family, I plan to apply to doctoral programs in the not too distant future.

I'm looking at this as an opportunity for my family to do something and live somewhere we never have. I'm looking at this as a chance to do something totally different than anything I've done before. Yes, I've been a student many times over, but being in the thick of academia, immersing myself in topics and research, is something I haven't really had an opportunity to do before, and is something I know I would love to be able to do. I am a student at heart, a born researcher and life long learner.

The biggest question is: Where would we go? Well, there are a few factors that would go into this decision, the biggest one being where have I been accepted. I can't say that my I've set my sights low. I plan on applying to Johns Hopkins, Harvard, UPenn, and the University of Washington. These are all highly regarded universities with competitive Ph.D. programs. I'm a smart lady and I am currently kicking butt in my master's program and plan to continue to do so, but that doesn't automatically mean I'll be admitted into one of these schools.

My nerves about not being admitted aside, I am totally enthralled by the idea of studying and researching at one of these schools. All of them have amazing programs, history, and people attached to them and are located in parts of the country I would love to live in. I'm really keen on being part of a Ph.D. program because I like the idea of tackling big questions and moving deeper into issues surrounding education and how it works within society, and all of these schools offer programs that do just that.

My end goal with my Ph.D. is not to climb the ladder in our or any other school district. I don't have a strong inclination (at this point) toward taking over a leadership position. This, of course, could change, but for now I see myself working within a university or nonprofit, maybe someday going to Washington to help shape policy, or, better yet, opening a school to serve our area, where there is extremely limited choice of where you can send your children to school, particularly if you're low-income. If you know me in real life you know I have very strong feelings regarding how things are currently done in public schools. My mission, regardless of where I am in my career or studies, is to affect change. Considering my skill set and personality type, this path is probably one of the best ways for me to do this.

So, this is all a still few years off yet, as I mentioned. I have at least another two and a half years left in my master's program, and I also love my job. It's fun and fulfilling and just all around incredible. I'm extremely lucky to work where I do, doing what I do and I may decide to keep doing it long after I receive my Master's, saving this dream for a little later. But if it comes sooner or later, it's coming either way, and I can't wait to get started.

No comments:

Post a Comment