Saturday, April 6, 2013

Fresh Air

I cracked the bedroom window the night before last, the cool breeze felt good in our stuffy bedroom. When I woke up the next morning, the babe mewling from the co-sleeper and the girl sprawling across two-thirds of the bed (my husband had long since left for work), I could hear something I hadn't heard for a long time, creeping in through the open window. Birds. Chirping. Life. While I blearily sat up in bed and got ready to nurse the babe, I knew today we would need to be outside.

Source
Early spring in Maine can be unforgiving. The calendar may say April, but our yard is still mostly covered in snow. And that westerly breeze that knocked out our power the other night? It gives quite the chill! But then you also have days like today, when you know there will come a day when the grass will be green again, the lakes will be free of ice, and coats will officially be able to be packed away until next fall (which I will fully embrace after a hot summer). It's these days you want to snatch up with the kids in tow, because, who knows, you might be snowed in a day or two later!

We couldn't get out right way - there was school to get to, fabric (those play silks I mentioned) to trim, and cloth diapers to fold. But as soon as my car pulled into the driveway (windows all rolled down), we hopped out, busted out the bike and the Moby and walked (well, the girl rode her bike).

We walked and rode two miles!

It felt amazing to be outside without the burden of heavy winter coats, have the sun warm our faces, and to just move our bodies. I felt the dust of winter just fall off with each step. It also helps that we live in a naturally beautiful area with views of the hills around us. And we all came home, baby, girl, and mama feeling refreshed and with new, happier dispositions. It's amazing what a little movement will do for a kid (even a baby) and her attitude.

What have you done to shake off winter lately?

P.S. I just discovered this wicked cool blog this morning that had some really fun movement/dance activities for kids. We have a rainy day coming up and I'll have to give them a try!

5 comments:

  1. Great post! I live in Ottawa, Canada and we too still have some snow lingering. But I think today is going to be an outside day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad we got out when we did, because today we're back in the 30s and will be getting rain tomorrow!! Enjoy your time outside!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hear you about the weather. This weekend we finally got some warmth and SUN here in NYC. I am off now to work in my poor neglected garden (all the storms this fall and winter hit is hard!). Enjoy your springtime and outside time!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. As a fellow New Englander, I love and appreciate this post (as I watch the wintery mix outside my window this morning). Spring is on the way. Pedicure and flip flops for me next week. And in the meantime, I will troll my spring pinterest board for some inspiration. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That wintery mix seemed horribly unfair! We got just a bit of snow, but it was enough to make me feel like it was unjust after some really beautiful and warm days recently! Should improve some this week!

      Delete