Monday, April 1, 2013

Back with a Baby

While two blog posts hardly legitimizes a hiatus, I have in fact taken one, if only because I had a few other, slightly more important things to do...Like make this:


My lovely little boy has arrived to join the rest of our family, making everything pretty much perfect (although, this being the second "good" baby in a row, I wouldn't mind going for a third). Now that he's been home for a bit, I'm ready to hit the blogging scene once again, which makes this blog a new priority, though, admittedly, it's pretty low on the totem pole at the moment (i.e. don't expect too much from me for a while). 

Since my boy's arrival, I've been striving to figure how this whole two-kid parenting gig works. They aren't lying when they (whoever that is - possibly my mum) it isn't easy. We're very blessed in that our daughter is a bright, sweet kid, but even the brightest and sweetest have a limit when it comes to a new baby brother. At times, she's gotten pretty sick of him and the amount of time and attention he takes up. And, admittedly, I've gotten pretty sick of being in constant demand, either from the baby or the girl. It can make for a pretty grumpy household! 

But now, a little over five weeks in (and naturally with only three weeks left of my maternity leave, of course), I'm starting to figure out a system. It will change, as things with a young infant and four-almost-five-year-old are pretty fluid, but to have something in place helps a lot, especially in terms of attitude, mine, the kids, and even my husband's. 

Here are some things that have helped us adjust to this new season of life: 
  • Having a routine, or at least specific things that are guaranteed to happen, like school or other activities (visiting the library, a play group, spending scheduled time with friends or family). It's helpful to have something in place to structure the rest of your day around, if not for you, for the big kid. 
  • Setting aside quiet time. We have "quiet time" (a.k.a. nap time) in the afternoon, after school and before supper. My daughter sits in her room and can play quietly, listen to music, or look at books. The babe and I go in my room, nurse, and he takes a nap, I may join him, or I read or get some quiet chore done, like fold laundry (or write a blog post!). 
  • Get out! The biggest thing I realized that will help improve my mood and the kids', especially in the stretches of time during the week when my husband is gone at work, is getting out of the house. Even if it's just to the grocery store, I know that leaving and being with other people helps immensely. 
  • Baby wearing. When trying to get anything done, but particularly when doing something with my daughter and the baby just won't sit in his swing or bouncy seat, a sling, wrap, or carrier is a life saver (I use a Moby wrap and love it). 
  • Taking one day at a time and trying my hardest to enjoy each one. My maternity leave is going to be over all too soon, and the last thing I want is to feel like I spend the whole leave feeling rattled and unhappy. But if one day doesn't go well, you can't let it keep you down. 
I'm sure as time goes on I'll be able to add to this list and it will change, too, as I go back to work, and then change again over the summer. In this constant adventure I'm sure I'll pick up lots of other little tips and tricks. 




No comments:

Post a Comment