Saturday, October 18, 2014

Dear Lewiston

Dear Lewiston, Maine,

You have not always been my favorite place. You're a bit drab, a bit run down, and tend to be the butt of a lot of unflattering jokes.


I'll be honest - I've been a bit of a snob when it comes to you, Lewiston. But I think I can change. I think we can change together. After all it was from you my husband came, and as much as I'd like to give him back sometimes, in the end, I love him and I appreciate all the cultural charm you've given him, like his really weird Maine/French-Canadian accent.

What's more, I am starting discover your charms. Tonight, for example, I enjoyed a really incredible dinner at one of your local restaurants and there were no french fries or lobster rolls in sight. And what was in sight was a delightful mixed bag (at least for Maine) of people, types of people who I do not get to see every day in our neck of the woods. I had never fully appreciated that about you Lewiston - you house a fascinating collage of folks who I do not meet and experience life with every day.

So, I guess what I'm trying to say, Lewiston, is that I'm sorry and I am, if you are, willing to give it another go.

What do you say?

No comments:

Post a Comment