Friday, January 24, 2014

Waving the Checkered Flag

I don't suppose the word "busy" sufficiently describes my life right now. It's something like driving a race car (or, at least that's how I imagine it to be, having never actually driven a race car before). We're going terribly fast, with lots to look out for, but somehow, we're going about it all quite smoothly - and keeping our fingers crossed we don't crash.

The last few weeks have finally given themselves over to something resembling a rhythm. I didn't quite realize we were in the midst of it until sometime early last week as I was doing the dishes that were sitting in my sink after breakfast. M. was playing over by the big double doors as he's wont to do, E. had only recently been dropped off at school, and I felt peaceful. And I was doing the dishes...by hand!

I hate doing dishes and usually avoid it at all costs, yet here I was with the hot water pouring over my hands and scrubbed a bit of breakfast off a plate. I was relaxed in a way I hadn't been in months. And while things certainly aren't perfect - we have a few things on the horizon that need a bit of tackling and untangling - everything feels good.


No comments:

Post a Comment