Wednesday, January 29, 2014

Crowning Achievement (Har, Har, Har - Pun!)

I've been oggling sweet little birthday crowns that every Waldorf mama I admire seems to have for her little ones. I finally decided I need to make a couple for my babies and happened have just the right amount of felted wool sitting in my big box o' fabric, waiting to have something done with it.

After about two hours of work, I finished up a crown for my soon-to-be birthday boy.

Here's M.'s crown, all finished:


The pattern was freehanded, but I was inspired mostly by these crowns on Frontier Dreams. What I'd really love to get more felt and add little pictures and things, or at least make the letter on the front solid rather than sort of mosaic looking (I didn't have a large enough whole piece of leftover felt to do so this time). I think for now, particularly for M., I'll likely leave it a bit plain, at least until his likes and interests become more clear, though I suppose I could put boobies on his crown, but that might look a bit weird to those outside of our immediate family.

I'm in the midst of sewing E.'s together, which will look very similar, but the purple felt will be in the front (her favorite color). She's quite excited, but somewhat disappointed she has to wait until spring to wear hers. Apparently it's very unfair that her little brother gets to celebrate his birthday first - after all, he is little shouldn't his birthday be last? (I seem to recall having this same sentiment when I was her age and I had to get ready to celebrate a new little brother's first birthday before my own.)

I love this sort of project. It requires very little skill on my part, but it still looks so nice. I'm a strong hand sewer (but don't put me in front of a machine), and making this crown strengthened that skill all the more, especially since I backstitched for the first time since I was probably ten or eleven to secure the band in back. Some embroidery would look lovely on there, I think, and I did pick up some matching thread, but I couldn't find my needles...and I'm not really sure on how to embroider (but I have a book!).

I have a couple other little projects up my sleeve, including a really cute one for Valentine's day. I'm hoping as I go through my very large box of fabircs and crafty bits I'll slowly add some lovely things to my children's playthings and to the very little art in our house - something I'm desperately trying to remedy. Desperation works nicely in creating a bit of beauty.


No comments:

Post a Comment