Saturday, November 2, 2013

Getting My Thanks On

For the last four years for the month of November, until Thanksgiving, we've been following a little family tradition. There's a glass pumpkin shaped jar that sits on our kitchen table with a pile of colored paper and a felt tipped pen. Every day, when we get the chance, my husband, E. (with some help), and I will write down something we're thankful for that day.

Thanksgiving night, after we've come home from a long day of traveling along routes 117 and 4 in between eating way too much, we gather in the living room or on the bed and take turns reading what we were each thankful for every day that month. It's my favorite Thanksgiving tradition and I have saved nearly every single one of those scraps of colored paper since we started back in 2009. And so, for the second year in a row, I have taken all those notes on what we were thankful for and created a word cloud.

I love making these because they are vivid and simple. It takes a month's worth of effort and packages it up nicely. This year I used Tagul, though in years past I've used Tagxedo. Both are pretty good, though I've decided I prefer Tagxedo.


I adore family traditions of all kinds, and I love coming with them even more.I can't say how unbelievably pleased I am that this tradition has stuck for as long as it has.

What traditions do you look forward to to this time of year?

2 comments:

  1. I really love this idea, and even though it is just myself and my husband ( strange to say since we are newly married!) I think we still might get a little start on something like this for the remainder of the month :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, you should! It's so much fun to look back and see what you each were holding close to your heart previous years. If you start now it will be such a nice record of your marriage in its earliest months. And congratulations on your marriage!

    ReplyDelete